Thursday, November 4, 2010

The nanny state or scapegoats r us

Have you seen this? Law curbs Happy Meal toys. Instead of blaming a lack or activity or too much food for childhood obesity, San Francisco is blaming the toy in the box. I'm all for healthier choices but this kind of mandate is just another example of people refusing to take responsibility. An occasional kid's meal with a toy is not going to make a kid fat. I've had a weight problem all my life and most of my childhood was spent in a town that didn't even have a McDonald's until I was in high school. If I had to relate my weight problem to anything it would be that I preferred books to sports. Should I blame authors and publishers for my health issues? If it's your problem, own it. I say playing the blame game is a waste of time and counterproductive to fixing any problem.

No comments: