Monday, July 25, 2005

50-book challenge
I'm not known for my bravery, so I am probably the last person you would pick to be your storm-chasing partner. That has never stopped my husband for taking me out into "big weather" as amateur radio weather spotters. We've been out in driving rain where we couldn't see the road. We've had a directional-challenged amateur radio volunteer direct us in front of the storm instead of behind it. But I must admit seeing my first tornado snake back up into the sky was an exhilarating a moment. That's one reason I picked Big Weather: Chasing tornadoes in the heart of America by Mark Svenvold as book no. 12. I wish the author would have spent more time on the chasers and less on global warming. The description of the chase, the chasers and the devastation is where the book really shines.

No comments: