Wednesday, May 18, 2005

43 to go
I finished books six and seven this week in my 50-book challenge. It was made a little easier by the fact if I moved much I couldn't breathe. Luckily, reading is activity that doesn't require movement.
A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett was thoroughly enjoyable brain candy. Much like one of Buffett's songs, it was pure entertainment with lots of sailing, fishing, flying and a host of unique characters. I've always liked Buffet. My mother had a copy of "Living and Dying in 3/4 time" on 8-track that had a great song about getting drunk with a bear. It seems like every pub band I saw in the '80s knew how to cover "Why don't we get drunk." And I always remember the story of the pirate radio station off the coast of Florida that played "Son of a Son of a Sailor" over and over. Buffett's books are much like his songs and I consider that a good thing.
State of Fear by Michael Crichton was a fast read with a predictable ending, but I enjoyed it. I read a review that said it shows Crichton's right-wing philosophy. The story is critical of environmental groups. But I didn't see it as an agenda. The message to me was even a noble cause can go bad when you want to win at all costs.
Next up: Conviction by Richard North Patterson.

No comments: