Sunday I was building 1A at the newspaper when we got word of breaking news. I began reworking the page as more details came in.
There will be four empty chairs at somebody's Thanksgiving table today. A father, a mother and their two tiny children, 4 and 2, were found dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning. They didn't have electricity and were using a borrowed generator to stay warm. As the story progressed into Monday, we learned the lone survivor of this young family was a 6-year-old who had been staying with her grandmother during the weekend.
On Wednesday, our reporters covered two fatal accidents -- two more empty chairs in the blink of an eye.
In my job we see some good, but we also see a lot of sad and bad. I don't want to be a downer on this holiday, but I want to make a request because you are all important to me. Please be careful, please seek help if you need it, please take care of each other and please hug the ones you love.
I wish you all a blessed and safe Thanksgiving.